Artists Statements

I have just added this discussion to the forum on the Hand Embroidery Network


I have been writing an artists statement recently and I hate writing these and I am really rubbish at it! I hold my hands up and admit it! In writing the dreaded artist statement I wanted to express why I embroider. I have tried many different mediums to express myself oils, acrylics, watercolours, and mixed media, but I always come back to embroidery, to fabric and thread. I love the different marks that I can make with needle and thread and that I can be bold one minute and quiet and reserved the next and the stitch I make reflects this. What does embroidery mean to you? Why do you choose it above all other mediums?


So if you read my blog and you are an embroidery artist, why do you embroider? What is it that makes you choose to express yourself in embroidery?

For me there is something so much more personal in the work that I produce, because it is worked in embroidery. It is not so much that I have been taught the skill more that it has been passed down to me from grandmother to mother to daughter. In fact all my skills, dressmaking, knitting, embroidery have all come to me that way. This is why I choose needle and thread because the cycle continues. My grandmother died in 1999 and I miss her dearly but she is still here in everything that I make! One day I hope that I can pass on my skills to my daughter.

Comments

Popular Posts