Thursday, 12 August 2010

Thread Painting with a Domestic Sewing Machine

I have just got back from a long weekend away with my husband, kids and the rest of the family. We have been camping in Anglesey again. The weather was forecast rain all weekend but that was not the case the weather was glorious and we had a great time. I love the camp site we go to as it is overlooking the sea and I am always inspired to paint! When we came back I thought it would be great if instead of painting I did a bit of free machine embroidery and try emulate the brush strokes I usually make while painting. My Brother sewing machine has been out of action and is always hit and miss but I thought what the heck I would have a go! I'm quite pleased with the result and hope to do some more as long as my machine keeps going!

The Rocks - Free machine embroidery on calico

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Clare, I am hoping to do some more seascapes in this way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,
    I'm an artist and have recently discovered art quilts. I'm about to begin classes for quilting in the next couple of weeks. My goal is to create some beautiful thread painted designs and quilts. I have a Brothers machine ( not an elaborate one, but computerized) with a drop in bobbin. Although, I haven't attempted thread painting as of yet, I've been told that I need to be able to adjust the tension of my bobbin thread. Since I don't use a bobbin casing, how would I accomplish that? All the demos I've seen, are with machines that have casings that can be adjusted.
    I absolutely love your design and hope that you will be sharing more of your projects with us.
    Best Wishes,
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I love reading them and really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sarah