Eyelet Wheels

Eyelet wheels can be used for depicting wheels, flowers or even eyes. They can be worked on evenweave or plain weave fabrics. Eyelet wheels or stitch can also be used as a filling stitch in fine thread which forms a lacy pattern. However I like them on their own and they look really nice in thin and thick threads as well as fancy threads!

To work an Eyelet wheel first mark your fabric with a circle and then divide it up with radiating lines as below.




Next bring your needle up at 1 and down at 2. 



Then bring your needle back up at 1, down at 3, up at 4.


Take the needle down at 1 again, up at 4, down at the centre 3 and then up again at 5. Continue around the circle working alternative backstitches and stitches in to the centre.



Have a go at using different threads on a painted backgound. I used silk dyes and sea salt to create the background for the last photograph.


Comments

  1. Hi Sarah
    I just want to take a moment to thank you for your posts. I used to embroider all the time years ago and am getting back to it now. Your blog has been most helpful in getting me back in the swing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tutorials have taught me so much! Can I ask, what is the difference between this and the buttonhole wheel? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol and Nikka, thanks I am really glad that my tutorials are so useful! Regarding the difference between buttonhole wheels and eyelet wheels, with buttonholes wheels all the stitches radiate from the same central hole whereas eyelet wheels are made up of a series of straight and backstitches with just the spokes meeting at the central hole. Eyelet wheels also lie flatter on the fabric than buttonhole wheels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, I love reading them and really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sarah

Popular Posts