Saturday, 9 October 2010

Japanese Darning

A quick tutorial on Japanese Darning. Japanese Darning is a filling stitch for use on plain and evenweave fabrics. It forms a geometric filling which is very attractive allowing the base fabric to show through. If using plain fabric you will need to mark guidelines to keep the stitching even. This would look great stitched in white thread on the bottom of a pair of dark jeans or the cuff of a jacket for something a bit different!

To work Japanese darning first work several rows of darning stitches in a brick pattern as below.


Next begin joining them with slanted stitches as follows. Working from right to left bring your needle up at 1, down at 2, up at again at 3 and down at 4. Repeat along your row. 



Turn your work to stitch the row below in exactly the same way as before. Repeat joining each row to form a pattern or work separate rows as I have done.



4 comments:

  1. thank you for that little lesson. i love it and will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this... I love this style and keep wanting to do it, and I think now you have made me un-scared and I will!

    Thanks... keep on with that lazy Saturday thing.

    Pat M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome glad you both like the tutorial, please let me know if you give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracias por compartir el tutorial, saludos desde México.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I love reading them and really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sarah