Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Yorkshire Tea Not Just For Drinking!

I have been experimenting with dyeing wool with tea and thought I would try out some good old Yorkshire Tea! Well I am really pleased with the results and Yorkshire Tea is not only the best tea for drinking it also makes a fab dye too! The colour is a fabulous deep brown with dark brown flecks here and there (this I think is due to the dye sticking more to these parts and not anything I did on purpose!).

Tea dyeing is really easy to do and I achieved the resulting colour by first boiling 8 used tea bags on the stove for about 30 mins. I then let this cool down, removed the tea bags and added my pre-soaked wool. I like to soak my wool in warm water with a bit of washing up liquid for about 30 mins or longer before dyeing. I have read online that tea doesn't need a mordant (something to fix the dye to the wool with) but I added about 4 tablespoons of vinegar to be on the safe side! I then simmered the wool for 30 mins making sure it didn't boil! I checked on the colour and switched off the stove and let the wool cool overnight to soak up more colour. In the morning I removed the wool and rinsed it in the sink with some more washing up liquid and then hung it to dry! The result is the ball of wool below!

Hand Dyed British Wool With Yorkshire Tea!

4 comments:

  1. Your tea dyeing turned out so well and the yarn is such a nice colour. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm currently making a hand knitted headband out of it so will post pics when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, hard choice, I live in Michigan and the supply I brought when we left the UK is almost gone...... Think I will try fabric for stitching after our trip home in August!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I love reading them and really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sarah