Tuesday, 10 June 2014

One down, a hundred and ninety-nine to go!

I have only been crocheting since November last year so I am still learning different stitches and techniques. I love crochet blankets and have been making granny square ones since I learnt the classic granny square. I recently bought a book called 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Matchand I am keen to have a go at the different styles of blocks and granny square designs in the book. It's a really great book and the blocks are all illustrated at the beginning of the book and graded 1, 11, 111 from beginner to advanced. The book also gives you ideas for mixing and matching blocks and how to create a design for an afghan which is a great resource. There is also a techniques section in the last part of the book giving instruction on how to work the stitches, edges for finishing your afghan and tips on choosing yarn.

Needless to say I'm eager to have a go at all the different blocks starting with the beginner ones and working my way up to the advanced ones. I have set myself the task of producing a block a day or two if I can find the time between sock knitting and making products for my shop! I'm labelling them all so I know which ones they are but will eventually stitch them all together to form a sampler afghan. Here's my first block below which is a textured block using double and treble crochet stitches.

Block No. 1 - Stylecraft Special DK - 4mm crochet hook

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, it will keep me busy this summer and beyond! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks fun and the end results are always so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crochet blankets are great and I'm hoping I can manage some of the more tricky blocks in the book!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I love reading them and really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sarah