Thursday, 17 September 2015

Gone Rogue!

Yes, it's official I'm going Rogue, a Rogue Spinner that is for Spinzilla 2015! I signed up on Monday to spend an entire week at the beginning of October spinning as much yarn as I can! My goal is to spin more than a mile+ and on the 5th October I will be spinning like crazy! Why? I think it will be great fun and the registration fees are donated to the Needle Arts Mentoring Program.

Let me tell you a bit more about it or why not hop over to the website www.spinzilla.org and find out more about it and maybe register! Registration is open till 2nd October. The event is run by the National NeedleArts Association Spinning and Weaving Group and is a global event which runs from the 5th October to the 11th October. Teams and individuals compete in a friendly challenge to see who can spin the most yarn in a week! Cool or what?

Spinners who decide not to join a team (like me) are called Rogue Spinners and basically you are challenging yourself and also trying to be the Rogue spinner who spins the most yarn! I will be challenging myself to not only spin as much yarn as I can but to try out different fibres and spinning techniques throughout the week. I will be updating the blog everyday with images of the yarn I have spun that day, so you can keep up with my progress if you are interested!

I'm really looking forward to starting and have already started prepping my fibre for the kick off! I think I spin faster from rolags so I have created a few sets of these. I'm also thinking ahead to projects I want to make for Christmas so I'm hoping to spin the yarn for a jumper for my husband and a long shawl in three colours of natural Shetland wool. I also want to spin up some multi-coloured sock yarns for some winter sock knitting projects! I need to get 900 grams of Corriedale fleece ordered and I am planning a trip to Yarndale which is next weekend to stock up on some batts etc.

I love this because if the weather is chilly I will be getting a roaring fire going and setting up my Kiwi spinning wheel and chair next to the fireplace! I have my husband on hand if I need a massage lol and to supply me with some hot chocolate. I can download some Star Trek films and indulge in a week of spinning and sci-fi, what more can a girl want!

If you are also spinning for Spinzilla why not drop me an email and let me know or send me a message on Ravelry I go under the name Artyfibres!

Happy spinning!

Natural, hand dyed and hand blended rolags.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it and it's a good excuse to have my husband wait on me hand and foot for a whole week lol

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, I love reading them and really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Sarah